WHAT IS SPES?
The Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) is mandated under Republic Act No. 9547 otherwise known as “An Act To Help Poor But Deserving Students Pursue Their Education By Encouraging Their Employment During Summer and/or Christmas Vacations, Through Incentives Granted to Employers, Allowing Them to Pay Only Sixty Per Centum of Their Salaries or Wages and The Forty Per Centum Through Education Vouchers To Be Paid By the Government, Prohibiting and Penalizing The Filing of Fraudulent and Fictitious Claims, and For Other Purposes”, Under this law, the Secretary of Labor and Employment is designated Program Director of the SPES.
The objective of the SPES is to develop the intellectual capacities of children of poor families and harness their potentials for the country’s well being. Specifically, the Program aims to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by providing income or augment their income through encouraging their employment during summer and/or Christmas vacations.
Cebu Capitol PESO acts as one of the implementing body of the SPES. It offers SPES to all qualified students:
- Valedictorians and Salutatorians from Public High Schools of the Province of Cebu
- University Students
- Any person or entity who has employed at least 50 workers at any given time during the past 12 months.
- Duly filled Registration Form 01 (3 copies) with ID pictures attached and attested by the school principal or registrar.
- Any of the following to attest his/her age:
- Birth/baptismal certificate
- Any of the following to attest the students’ rating:
- Form 138 (High School Report Card)
- Valedictorian/Salutatorian Certificate (if applicable)
- Certification by School Registrar that the student has a passing school grade during the previous semester/school year
- Certified true copy of the student’s class card where his/her passing could be determined
- Certification issued by the BIR that the parents are exempted from payment of tax or copy of the latest Income Tax Return (ITR) of his/her parents whose combined income does not exceed to P112,000.00 per annum
WHERE TO APPLY?
Interested Student-applicants may visit at the Cebu Capitol PESO located at the ground floor of the Capitol Building, Cebu City for the orientation and application.
HOW ARE THE STUDENTS PAID?
– The student is paid a salary with the minimum wage rate.
– At least 60% of the salary will be paid by the employer in cash.
– The remaining 40% if the salary will be paid by DOLE in the form of education voucher.
ARE STUDENTS EMPLOYED BY PRIVATE AND PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS/ENTITIES COVERED BY INSURANCE?
Yes, all student beneficiaries working both in private and public establishments/entities under the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) are insured under the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) group insurance policy covering death and accident benefits amounting to P 10, 000.00. SPES students employed by private establishments are required to pay the premium of P 5.50 covering the of SPES employment period.